Johnson County Honey Wine and Apple Pie
The wine and recipe of the week is Johnson County Honey Wine and Apple Pie. Made from pure local honey, this sweet wine is smooth, delightful, and exclusive to Aubrey Vineyards.
Raw honey has been known to boost the immune system, but Honey Wine can be chilled and enjoyed on a nice Spring or Summer day with your favorite savory cheese or dessert.
For example, goat cheese, havarti, strawberry cheesecake, and apple pie.
Apple Pie recipe:
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp of cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp of ground nutmeg or freshly grated
- pinch of salt
- 2 apples about 6 ounces each (peel and core)
- 1 Tbsp of brandy
- 4 Tbsp of unsalted butter
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- 1 pkg of refrigerated pie crusts
- whipped cream or vanilla ice cream optional
- To make the filling, mix together the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and a pinch of salt.
- Set aside.
- Cut the apples into 1/2 inch pieces. In a frying pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. When the butter has melted remove the pan from the burner and add the brandy (optional). Return the pan to the stove and cook about 1 minute.
- Add the apples and cook until tender, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add the sugar mixture and reduce the heat to low, cook stirring frequently, until the apples are glazed (2-3 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Set aside and cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut the dough into 1 large circle and 1 small circle.
- Set aside.
- Fill pie crust and spread evenly.
- Place small dough circle over filled crust.
- Bake the pie until the crust is well browned, approximately 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream (optional).
- Enjoy with a glass of Honey wine!